The Organics Division identifies and quantifies trace organic compounds in water, soil, sediment, and tissue at the part-per-billion (ppb) level using EPA, NOAA, and Center developed methods. CESE’s most recent instrument acquisition is a Waters Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatograph with a Tandem Mass Spectrometer (UPLC/MS/MS).
Recent projects supported by the Organics Division include:
- Determination of concentrations of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and their metabolites blood, sea turtle eggs, and fish in support of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill National Resource Damage Assessment.
- Detection and quantitation of bio-active compounds including furanocoumarins in food and humans, environmental estrogens, and cyanotoxins and their analogs.
- Developing novel analytical methods supporting rapid responses to emerging threats on commercial shellfisheries.
Some of our clients and collaborators include:
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
- Clemson University
Waters Acquity Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatograph (UPLC) equipped with:
|To identify and quantify trace level concentrations of pharmaceuticals, personal care products, and other non-traditional organic contaminants in a variety of matrices.|
|Waters Quattro Micro Gas Chromatograph-Tandem Mass Spectrometer (GC-MS/MS)||To identify and quantify trace level concentrations of pesticides, PCBs, PBDEs, PAHs and other organic contaminant in a variety of matrices.|
|Agilent 6890/5973 Gas Chromatograph/Mass Spectrometer (GC/MS)||To determine concentrations of volatile and semi-volatile compounds in a variety of matrices.|
|Agilent 6890 GC w/ Electron Capture Detector (GC/ECD)||To determine concentrations of pesticides and PCBs in a variety of matrices.|
|Hewlett Packard 5890 GC w/ Flame Ionization Detector (FID)||To determine concentrations of petroleum hydrocarbons and other organic compounds in a variety of matrices.|
Perkin Elmer Series 200 High Performance Liquid Chromatograph (HPLC) equipped with:Photodiode Array Detector (PDA)
|To identify and quantify concentrations of phytopigments and other organic compounds|
|Labconco RapidVap Automated Concentrator||To concentrate sample extracts|
|OI Autoprep Gel Permeation Chromatograph||To remove impurities from the extraction process|
|Fisher 5500 Sonicator||To extract solid samples for analysis|
|Dionex Automated Solvent Extractor (ASE)||To extract solid samples for analysis|
|Organimation Nitrogen Blow-Down Concentrator||To concentrate sample extracts|
|Genevac EZ-2 Evaporator||To concentrate sample extracts|
|High-Capacity Rotary Extractor||To perform EPA-required batch extractions|